Friday, January 17, 2014

THE moment...

Many women talk about THE moment, the moment their lives changed for ever..  Most will talk about when they got engaged, or married or had a baby... not me. My MOMENT was when I was handed this...

My Invitational Entry into the 2014 Boston Marathon!! :)
Let me back up... 9 years ago I moved to Boston. Every April I joined the masses of people headed to Copley Square and the Boston Marathon Finish Line.. Marathon Monday. It's so awesome it even has its own Holiday. The 3rd Monday of April is known as Patriots Day, but for most, its known as a day off from work to watch the runners.

It's never less than exciting. From the moment the elite take off to the swarms of "regular" people. They are people of all shapes and sizes, some in costumes, some in military fatigues. Regardless.. it's amazing to watch. And these "regular" people might be even more amazing to watch... they give me hope that someday ... maybe I could do it too!

Well... this is my year!

How you say? How did this chubby little recreational runner turn into a MARATHONER?!!? hahah I didn't qualify. I didn't wake up and run some sub 3 hr. marathon... Bottom Line.. I got lucky.

Like seriously lucky. My boyfriend, Brian, is a Lt. Field Supervisor for a major ambulance company. Short story? His work got numbers because they work the marathon, and they gave me one. Long story? He worked Marathon Monday last year, during the bombings. Scary stuff. Story for another day. This is a happy post!

Thus begins my marathon training, my first marathon, the BOSTON MARATHON. I am beyond thrilled. I get giddy and teary-eyed just thinking about it. I just know I'll have the biggest grin on my face, and want to wear my medal and marathon jacket every single day. But for now... I focus on logging those miles in my little suburb and hope that I'll be ready on April 21st. 





No comments:

Post a Comment